JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: Coalition Coordinator, Coalition for Sensible Safeguards
The Coalition for Sensible Safeguards (CSS) is a national alliance of more than 160 consumer, labor, scientific, research, faith, community, environmental, small business, good government, public health and public interest groups — representing millions of Americans.
CSS is led by an executive committee of representatives from the AFL-CIO, the Center for Progressive Reform, Consumer Federation of America, the Economic Policy Institute, the Natural Resources Defense Council, Public Citizen and the Union of Concerned Scientists. The co-chairs are Public Citizen and Consumer Federation of America.
Public Citizen is a national, non-partisan, public interest group with over 500,000 members and supporters. Public Citizen conducts public education campaigns and advocates before the Congress and administrative agencies on money in politics, open government, corporate accountability, financial regulation, public health and safety and access to justice.
Consumer Federation of America (CFA) is an association of non-profit consumer organizations that was established in 1968 to advance the consumer interest through research, advocacy, and education.
CFA will house and manage the Coalition Coordinator, who will be a member of CFA’s staff.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF POSITION: The CSS Coalition Coordinator will work closely with the CSS executive committee, the co-chairing organizations, Public Citizen’s Vice President of Legislative Affairs and CFA’s Legislative Director to coordinate and manage the coalition.
- Lead the planning processes to develop the coalition’s strategic vision, priorities and set goals with the eight member executive committee.
- Implement and facilitate execution of the established strategies and priorities.
- Manage CSS projects and campaigns to achieve larger coalition goals, in both administrative and legislative forums.
- Ensure the positions and work of CSS is represented in the larger national advocacy community through the media, congressional relationships, at conferences, in related coalitions and in other venues.
- Proactively looks for ways to improve and grow the coalition.
- Manage relationships with staff of partner organizations to coordinate shared resources and work products.
- Supervise and direct CSS staff and interns, including independent creation of work plans for interns.
- Organize coalition and public interest community meetings and outreach efforts (e.g., sign-on letters, weekly events notices, coalition media and social media campaigns).
- Ensure e-mail listservs, CSS website (in collaboration with the CSS Communications Coordinator), and social media networks are maintained and expanded.
- A bachelor’s degree or higher, and at least five years of relevant experience in nonprofit organizations, campaigns, advocacy work or government offices – including experience working with a diverse set of groups from grassroots activists to policy experts and communication staff.
- Strong writing skills, with the ability to create materials on regulatory policy topics.
- Good organizational skills, with the ability to conceptualize, propose and execute projects with minimal supervision.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, including meeting facilitation and public speaking.
Please send your resume and cover letter to Rachel Weintraub at firstname.lastname@example.org.